Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Only Daughter" by Sandra Cisneros

I just read an essay written by the author Sandra Cisneros titled “Only Daughter”. I felt that the reason that she wants to get across to the reader is that impressing someone with your work to show your worth can be a great motivator for some great writings. She also wanted to get across her Hispanic back round, which she did very well. I was glad that she incorporated all of her back round into this one small piece of literature.
Her style of writing is one similar to talking to a younger audience, like she wanted to make her points written in an easy to understand, “flowing” manner. My favorite point she made was the part that said “When he was finally finished, after what seemed like hours, my father looked up and asked: ‘Where can we get more copies of this for the relatives?’ Of all the wonderful things that happened to me last year, that was the most wonderful.” This really touched me because it seemed to touch her deep in a place in her heart and she conveyed it well in her writing style.
What I liked about this essay was that it made me understand her as well as her culture in a personal way that I would have never been able to access without this fine piece of work. One thing I did dislike about it though was that she took the almost sexism like attitude from her father and made it seem okay, which it never is. Another thing I liked though was her use of English and Spanish words in a flowing way that just “felt” right to the eye, it didn’t look like she was trying to just throw some random Spanish in there to “spice” things up, it was used sparingly but in the right way with the right types of speech, which made I seem like iy was natural, which it probably was to her.
I related to the character in the way that I feel like I must impress my father as well because he always wanted to raise a boy, but he never got to for, obvious reasons, so I try to make him proud. Proud to have an accomplished daughter, even just a daughter, like me.

1 comment: