Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"The Rocking-Horse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence

I read the short story named “The Rocking-Horse Winner” by D.H. Lawrence, and I thought that it was a very moving story filled with anticipation, exhilaration, and sadness.
While I was reading this story I kept wondering and trying to see what the metaphors in the story were, and what they meant. It was a very bizarre story; I think that maybe the “house” whispering was possibly either the servants or a conscience in the boys head. This house was also very greedy; this whole story seemed to revolve around greed though.
The little boy in the story is so many things at once, he is a little boy, you are reminded about this by the fact that he still rides his little rocking-horse, but he also seems to be wise beyond his age, look at the way he talks and the way he knows about his family’s money problems. I like the reoccurring mention of the boy’s eyes, the fact that they are cold and a vivid color of blue, to me they seemed to be described as almost being intimidating.
I really didn’t like the mother on some levels because of the fact that she seemed to be superstitious and the fact that she “had” to live extravagantly no matter how little money they had. If she had been better with money then maybe that first five thousand pounds could have solved most of their problems, and the ending would not have been as it was.
There was so much info in this short story that I think that it could have possibly been made into an entire book. It was that exciting to read. It was so sad in the end, but powerful, the author seemed to not want you to feel sorry for the boy or mourn his death. But that annoying money was brought back up again.
I also liked the magical elements of it, it seemed like everything was magic, the house, the horse, the boy, ext.; it all seemed to have some sort of magical feel to it. “The room was dark. Yet in the space near the window, she heard and saw something plunging to and fro. She gazed in fear and amazement. Then suddenly she switched on the light, and saw her son, in his green pajamas, madly surging on the rocking horse….” (10) is a clear example if this unnatural felling to the whole story.
Another character that I really liked was the deeply religious gardener, Mr. Bassett. I thought the fact that this seemingly gambling addicted man was very deeply religious because he kept saying that it was a god given gift that the boy had such a talent. It may also be the fact that he is greedy and just doesn’t want to second guess this good fortune given to him. And if he was really religious, wouldn’t he think that gambling is bad? I really don’t know.
I really liked this story because I was able to relate to the boy in the fact that I want to be able to help the people that I care about when they need it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment